About Me

My photo
I make toys for kids who don't want to grow up. I'm on the lookout for new projects. If you're interested in commissioning me to build something ridiculous, shoot me an email.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

On the Road Again

So the other day I found myself on the road to Bagram. There's a pretty regular shuttle flight from Kabul to get there, but since I hardly ever get a chance to go out and see what there is to see in Afghanistan, I'd rather drive.

Traffic in Kabul is always a bit of an adventure. This trip was pretty mild. There were no especially frightening moments. We did have a near collision in one of the traffic circles. Then, moments later, a passing car tried to merge into us. Along the way they snagged our front bumper cover and pulled it almost all the way off:
Photobucket

Once we kicked the bumper cover off, the rest of the drive was thoroughly uneventful, so I'm afraid I really don't have all that much to say about it. I did snap a bunch of pictures on the way:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Scattered along the sides of the road in construction zones were dozens of small boys who I'm told make a few cents here and there by filling potholes:
Photobucket

I've made mention of all the dogs I keep seeing on the roads out here. So far this is by far the healthiest one I've seen (probably because of his exercise regimen):
Photobucket

On the way back into Kabul, I spotted yet another burnt-out Soviet tank:
Photobucket

And when we were finally in town again I caught a few more random scenes. Here's a typical Kabul commuter:
Photobucket

And someone's less-than-effective security wall. Patchwork like this can be seen all over town:
Photobucket

And because it wouldn't be Afghanistan without it, here's a shot of an open sewer:
Photobucket

To wrap it all up, here's a bus with a political message:
Photobucket

More to come. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment